This has been the million dollar question for some time now but does the weather affect your joints? Some researchers have said that there has been absolutely no evidence that supports this cause however others have found a ten degree drop correlates with a rise in arthritis flare-ups as well as barometric pressure drops.
No matter what researchers say however, individuals know their own bodies and know what ultimately affects their bodies. Those who suffer from conditions such as arthritis, osteoarthritis and even bursitis have reported when weather changes such as heavy rain or changes from hot to cold, their joint pain increases.
Joint Pain Caused By Weather Conditions
Although there is no scientific proof claiming that weather causes increased pain in the joints, it can’t deny how people feel. There are some theories that say the barometric pressure changes may however be linked to those who who suffer from joint conditions as their body may just be more sensitive to the change. This theory is because cartilage in those who have joint pain or damage may be exposed to that sensitivity due to cartilage wearing away at a faster rate.
How to minimize the impact of weather changes
Although the pain may be tough to eradicate completely there are some things that can be done to help with the symptoms.
- Reach out to our Atlanta orthopedic doctors so that we can give you a proper exam and get you an accurate diagnosis of why you suffer from joint pain. Arthritis could be to blame but it’s never a good idea to just assume, so contact our office to set up a consultation.
- Although the joints may be tender, exercise is a great way to keep the joints strong. Stretching and aerobic exercises like yoga and walking are great ways to keep your joints in shape.
- Use proper lifting techniques as to not put added strains on the joints and avoid lifting heavy objects alone.
- Applying heat to the joint can alleviate the pain or even allowing yourself some time to decompress in a nice warm bath.
- Anti-inflammatory medications are best for those from joint pain as they help reduce to inflammation minimizing the pain.
If the above tricks do not seem to provide relief, reach out to a specialist as the pain may need to be addressed surgically. Pain should not control your life , so our Atlanta orthopedic doctors are just a phone call away to getting you the care and treatment you deserve and to allowing you to have your life back. Please call us today at, (404) 592-1186 to start your journey to becoming pain free.