The musculoskeletal system is composed of bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments and all play vital roles in the way humans function daily. With millions of people each day facing traumatic injuries to their musculoskeletal system due to accidents, orthopedic doctors play a critical role in society as this system is vital to performing daily functions.
Over 10 Million Treated Each Year
Studies have shown that nearly 10 million orthopedic injuries are seen in emergency rooms across the country each year. The focus of these injuries was on auto accidents, which were the leading cause of most of the injuries reported. If injured in an auto accident, seeking care from a skilled car injury doctor or orthopedic specialist can mean all the difference in your recovery.
Common Orthopedic Injuries
As the musculoskeletal system is so large, so is the possibility of injury. The most common areas of injury are:
- Sprains and Strains: When the body suffers a fall, or a muscle, tendon or ligament is stretched beyond its capacity, a sprain or strain may result.
- Fracture: This is also called a broken bone and can occur in any bone, but most commonly in the legs and arms.
- Spinal Damage: If involved in an auto accident, spinal damage can occur resulting in spinal dislocations or fractures.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Much like spinal damage, injury to the cord can debilitating. Fractures to the vertebrae or tears in the cord can occur.
- Bursitis: This most commonly occurs in the knee and elbow and develops when the bursa which is a small fluid-filled sac becomes inflamed. This becomes problematic because of the bursa cushions bones from muscles and ligaments.
- Shoulder: Strains, sprains, and fractures are common shoulder injuries as well as tears in the rotator cuff.
- Wrist Injuries: In an auto accident, wrist injuries are common as the wrist often hits the steering wheel or dashboard causing injury.
Traumatic injury is known to cause immediate distress, however, overuse can also lead to the breakdown of tendons and ligaments. This type of injury is also trauma and can lead to significant pain. Some common causes of orthopedic injuries include:
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle and Bicycling Accidents
- Sports Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Defective Products
- Pedestrian Accidents
Following an accident, even if symptoms are not alarming, seek medical attention. An orthopedic injury may not present itself right away as something serious, but if left untreated could cause permanent damage. If involved in an accident, consult with one of our Atlanta orthopedic doctors for your treatment needs. Call us today at (404) 855-2141 for an appointment.